Saturday, December 24, 2011

Broken Vessels

Christmas time is often promoted as "family time".  But what about those whose family are far from them or worse, have no one?  I wonder if those who say this so nonchalantly feel that the holiday of Christmas is not for those with no family.  Should these people just try to fade into the shadows like an unsightly scar on society?
It is God who structured the family. And when the family unit is functioning at optimum levels, it is a beauty to behold.

It is God who structured the body. And when I see the body of a fit, toned, well functioning athlete, it is a beauty to behold.

But what of the blind man? God said he made him that way for his glory. (Jn 9:3)  What of the lame?  Paul asked God to remove his infirmity and God said that His grace was sufficient. When we look around us at "ideal athletes" and then down at our shriveled legs, it's tempting to say "Why me, Lord?" 

There are many people with troubled family situations. It's not ideal, but God says he's still sufficient. If we could change it we would. But we cannot and therein lies the frustration that can become a daily reality.

Many children are growing up without their grandparents which is not the ideal situation. Grandparents can be such a wonderful part of their grandkids' lives. But when God has closes door, there is a choice to make: we can keep pondering the injustice of it all or we can "glory in it". 
2 Corinthians 12:9-10 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.
These aren't lofty, unattainable goals. This is the reality that believers have in Christ Jesus. When we focus on what we've lost, we will be miserable. When we focus on the sufficiency we have in the Lord and the breath we have in our lungs that He has given to us for each new day, we can stop bemoaning our sorrows and start rejoicing in them.

I'm in awe of what God is doing in my life - He gives us power to glory in distress and persecution.

No comments: