Monday, June 1, 2015

Back to Square One

We got the home inspection last Saturday. I was sick with a 24 hour virus that day and had to miss it. But my husband and sons got to go and my husband looked a little overwhelmed when he got home. There were soooo many things that needed to be fixed. I asked him what the inspector thought was biggest thing wrong with it and he said the tobacco smoke. 

The next morning I woke early and innocently thought I'd just map out a course of action to tackle the smoke problem. I had no idea I was about to stumble upon the information that I did. 

From the research I gathered, the consensus from most people is that homes with more than a little tobacco smoke damage are a ton of work and often end up with causing more trouble than they are worth. Sometimes even resulting in breathing problems. Some people develop asthma and chronic coughs from living in a home that previous occupants smoked in. 

The microscopic particulates that permeate the indoor environment permeate everything and seem to become virtuously a permanent part of the home. Smoke smell can be diminished, it can be masked and it can even be deodorized - meaning you might be successful at removing the smell. But those nasty particulates are still there. 
Granted, some people report that they felt they had conquered the problem in the homes they were in. They reported no smell, etc. But the majority reported problem after problem and terrible trouble both financially and emotionally. 

From my understanding, it is not unlike mold spores, which are even more dangerous. The particles are airborne and extremely hazardous to your health. 

Therefore we decided, quite soberly and sadly, that we would rather lose the money we just invested into the inspection, than take on a problem that could ultimately cost us very dearly in terms of health and untold troubles. We are all relieved to be free from a potential nightmare. Lesson learned!

So on with the search we go. We now have 30 days to be out of this house and into another. 

So we are praying for a miracle and trusting God to meet our needs. And even if we have to live in an Extended Stay Hotel temporarily, and go through all the trouble and expense of moving into storage and then into a home, we will still praise him. He is so worthy to be praised! 

Genesis 18:14 - Is any thing too hard for the LORD?


4 comments:

Linda said...

I am so sorry.I'm sure God has something much better for you.
Linda

Simply Keeping Home said...

Thank you, Linda! I believe he does, too!

Courtney said...

Oh no!!!!! I'm sorry :( ..... Keep us posted! I'll keep praying for you!

DeNiece Barnes said...

Just checking in to see how things are going. Still praying for you and the family.