One of my husband's favorite desserts is Chocolate Cream pie. It took me a while to find a good recipe that didn't use boxed mixes. This one is easy, yummy and fits the bill. The only consension is the can of sweetened condensed milk. But I can live with that. :)
Rich Chocolate Cream Pie
1 2/3 cups water
3 TB cornstarch
6 TB cocoa
1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
3 egg yolks
2 TB butter
1/2 tsp pure almond extract
1 (9 in) graham cracker pie crust
Directions For crust:
Crush one package graham crackers (1 1/2 cups). Add 6 tablespoons melted butter and 1/4 cup sugar. Press into greased pie dish and bake 10 minutes at 350 deg. Let cool.
Directions For Pie Filling
1) Whisk water, cornstarch and cocoa in medium saucepan until smooth
2) Stir in milk and egg yolks
3) Bring just to a boil, stirring constantly and pudding looks thickened
4) Stir in butter and vanilla
5) cool slightly and pour into baked pie shell.
Cool completely before moving on.
7) Whip about 1 cup of whipping cream with 1/4 cup powdered sugar till thickened the way you like
8) Spread over top of the pie and chill.