Our ThanksGiving Day

I really love celebrating Thanksgiving Day. I have a thankful heart and this holiday is closest to the most God honoring holiday that exists.  We all have SO much to be thankful for! Did you know that the word "thanks" appears in the King James Bible exactly 500 times?  We should be thankful every day and not just on Thanksgiving.  But it's great to take a day just for thanking God, isn't it?

Sticky Situation

This year we decided to invite a couple of families from church to share Thanksgiving Dinner with us in our home, but neither family gave us a firm answer and it was going on 10 days since I'd asked them.  They may not have realized that leaving an invitation to a major holiday in the air for so long is actually very rude (and a bit insulting), but we needed to solidify our plans so I would know how much food to buy.


Good Etiquette + Prayer = Blessings

We prayed about it and just when I was going to call these two families to get a definite answer, some friends of ours called us late in the evening (about 8:30p) and invited us to spend Thanksgiving day with them. We were all so excited to get this invitation because we had spent Thanksgiving with them last year and had a wonderful time and were sort of hoping we could do it again this year.  But because I had two families to do a final check with first, I told her I'd give her a definite answer the next day.  


The next day, in the span of 30 minutes, both of the ladies from the families we'd invited to our home for Thanksgiving called me with favors to ask (one for babysitting and the other for a ride to the airport, which I was happy to oblige them both on).  During our phone conversation, I waited to see if either one would mention the very-soon-approaching holiday invitation I had given them and neither did.  So I had to.  I told them since I hadn't heard back from them about whether they were able to join us or not, we accepted an invitation to a friend's house for the holiday.  They were both fine about it, so all was well again.

With that issue behind us, I felt relieved that I did not have to all the cooking this year and that we would be able to share the holiday with some good friends again.


No Movies or TV on Thanksgiving

We never include television or movies on Thanksgiving which I really am thankful for. It is with us enough in life, and I am so glad that we never include it on our day dedicated to thanking the Lord.  

We brought a couple of sides to share and had a great day of fellowship.  Dinner was around 1pm and we had turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, cranberry applesauce, green bean casserole, rolls, pumpkin cheesecake, apple crumb pie and cherry lattice pie.   After dinner, we all walked down to the local playground for a fun game of foursquare.  Later on we gathered to sing some hymns and chat.

Last year we also cooked our own turkey with all the trimmings the day after Thanksgiving so that we could have the benefit of delicious leftovers all week, but this year I decided not to because I've been dealing with some tendonitis in my right elbow so it would be too difficult.

So instead, we will do a fancier Christmas dinner this year.  Usually we have a really good meal for Christmas but not the super fancy holiday style meal (similar to Thanksgiving).  So that's the plan.  Maybe we'll even get to host some friends this year. We'll see.

Right now, it's time to pack up all the fall decorations and put up the Christmas cheer!  I'm so excited to decorate my new living room this year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Modesty Doesn't Mean Frumpy

How to Get Rid of Anxiety

Purging and Surging