What Our Homes Say About Us

Have you ever wondered what your home says about you?  Every home reflects its keeper whether we realize it (or like to admit it) or not.  I wonder what my home is saying?

Does it speak of my desire to minister to others? Will it speak about my love for Jesus and all that's good and right?? 

More than anything I want my home to resonate the love of God.  I want those whom I invite into my home to feel cared about and welcome. 


If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food, And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?  Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. James 2:15-17

We all have the same areas of our homes that receive our personal touch.  I think it's fascinating that they really do tell a story about us.

Walls:
What we have intentionally displayed in our homes, shows where our hearts are.  That's why I decided to add so much Scripture to my walls and in my decor.  My heart and my treasure is the Lord Jesus Christ and his words are precious to me. Also on my walls are several family photos and some artwork.  Some of the artwork is "retro". I love all things vintage.

Bookcases:
I have three large bookcases displaying loads of books (99% nonfiction) and various cherished mementos from our travels. 

Furniture:
I have a lot of seating. I want there to be plenty of places for friends and family to sit comfortably for a long chat. My dining table seats 12 so that we can have a lot of people over for dinner.
There are end tables with lamps for good lighting and coffee tables for setting down a beverage.

Kitchen:
Everything that is on the countertops in my kitchen is used daily. If it's only used occasionally it goes into a cupboard to leave room on the counters for food prep.

Bathroom:
I love a bathroom that's clean, sanitary and sparkling.  Mine has minimal decor and mostly clear counters. (Makes cleaning easier.)

Clutter and Stuff:
I can't think clearly with clutter around so I relegate all clutter and 'junk' to the unfinished basement (my giant storage unit).  Anything I don't want to look at anymore goes down there. In fact, it is time to start sorting it all out for garage sale-ing or donating.  I'm hoping to get to that in the next two weeks.  I may even dare to post before and after pictures! :)

As you're reading this, does anything pop into your head that you want to unclutter? Old clothes, dishes, tired holiday decor, broken picture frames, greeting cards, forgotten crafts, old kitchen stuff, etc?  

Maybe it's time to make an appointment with yourself and get your kids to help you sort through and organize it soon. I know it's going to a lot of work to get mine done, but it will feel so much better when it's finished. Like getting a long overdue haircut!

Here's a fun quiz to see what your home says about you.  I took it and here are my results:


You come across as very intellectual. People take your wisdom seriously.
You have amazing hygiene, and it shows. You are sparkling clean!
You are a very domestic person. You enjoy decorating, cooking, and making things homey.
You are a very nurturing person. You find meaning in taking care of others.
You feel settled in your life. You have enough time to focus on little details.
You are a very self sufficient person. You can get along well without much help.
Your friends see you as accommodating, peaceful, and forgiving. 

I never thought of myself as intellectual or "feeling settled in" my life, but apparently that's what my home says about me. ;)  

If you take the quiz, I hope you will share your results and maybe which parts surprised you!

Have a blessed day!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Modesty Doesn't Mean Frumpy

How to Get Rid of Anxiety

Purging and Surging