This recipe has a Tex-Mex flavor and the beauty of it is it can be made fancy or plain depending on how many ingredients are on hand or to personal preferences. You can play around with the amounts of liquid to your own liking as well (more liquid for thinner soup, less for thicker).
- 1 can refried beans
- equal amount water or chicken broth
- 1 cup salsa (or as much as you like)
- 2 cups broken tortilla chips
- 1 can of diced green chiles (optional)
- 1 can of corn (optional)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (optional)
- a few sprinkles of cumin, red chili powder (optional)
- Garnishes (optional) shredded cheese, sour cream, chopped green onions, fresh tomato, sliced black olives, fresh cilantro, diced onions, diced jalepeno peppers.
Tip: Do NOT add salt. The tortilla chips have plenty to season the soup.