Time Management and My Schedule

My personality tends to be a bit "abstract random" and I do better with a list than a time schedule.  I also think a smooth running house begins with a smooth running woman.  


So it's important to take care of ourselves so we can take good care of our husbands, children and homes.  Some things I do...


  1. Sleep Needs: I like to be in bed by 9pm every night (my husband is usually there before I am due to his early work schedule) and asleep by 10:30pm or sooner. For hormone related sleep trouble, I take 3-5 capsules of the herb Valerian. 
  2. Spiritual Needs: I like doing a crossword and reading from Scripture before I go to sleep.
  3. Exercise Needs: I like doing walk at home aerobics, light weight lifting and walking outdoors. 
  4. Health Needs. I drink filtered water throughout the day, try to stay away from processed foods as much as possible, take good vitamins (Mighty 90) and use herbs for nutritional supplements as well as first aid. 
  5. Beauty Needs: I use good quality eye cream and moisturize my skin with extra virgin coconut oil.
Optimal daily routine:
  1. Start a load of laundry first thing in the morning.
  2. Dress in workout clothes first thing in the morning and get on the treadmill before breakfast.
  3. In the mornings I do a quick clean around the house.
  4. Do any homeschooling and chores.
      Some of my household habits:
  1. I try to have some fruits and vegetables available for snacking and meals.
  2. I like making Saturday the day for changing bed sheets trimming finger and toe nails. 
  3. I like keeping simple staples and baking supplies around so I can whip something up if I need to.
  4. Magnetic shopping list on the refrigerator is great for jotting down items needed.

Cleaning house and regular meals are a big part of keeping the home, but when the well is running dry, I feel like I don't have enough to give my family. It can be very easy for my spirit to run dry. If that is you, too, have some things in place for the low tides and try to keep taking care of yourself.  A relaxed and nourished woman is a happier woman.

So if you keep a schedule, make sure you are in it!


Pray Without Ceasing
I'm in the habit of carrying on an internal (and whenever possible, vocal) 
conversation with God throughout the day.  The Scripture I read in the evening or morning gives me something to meditate on the while I'm cleaning, cooking, organizing and homeschooling. 

Some women place too high a priority on their "spiritual life" to the point of even neglecting their husbands, their children and their homes.  Sadly my mom did this while I was growing up and it was not a good influence on me.  In fact it had quite the opposite!  A mother with an honest, real relationship with the Lord will shine aournd her and light her home.

 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him. Matthew 6:7-8

God is not impressed with a woman who neglects her family and home on her journey to spirituality.  God is impressed with a hard working woman who knows God is with her, listening to her and knows her needs. If a woman's household isn't running smoothly, I see a direct link to her own fulfillment or lack thereof. 
So back to time management and schedules, I do have a mental schedule that I follow. 

Each morning I try to:
  1. Make the bed as soon as I get out of it. It's nice to climb into a made up bed each night. I also launder and change the bed linens once a week (sometimes it's more like twice a month, but it gets done.)
  2. Start a load of laundry.
  3. Make breakfast and clean the kitchen.
Each night I try to:
  1. Set the coffee to brew for the morning.
  2. Prepare my husband's lunch for the next day.
  3. Tidy up the place a little. 
  4. Wash my face and apply moisturizers and eye cream. 
I try to tackle one or more weekly chores like vacuuming, dusting, sweeping, mopping, laundry, general bathroom cleaning and organization.

I call my method "list cleaning" because I have a list of work and each thing gets done by the end of the month as time and energy allow. This method works better for most lifestyles than a schedule that dictates "Mondays are wash day, Tuesdays are vacuuming," etc.  When I tried to follow that kind of schedule, I was always getting mixed up or behind. 

I have come to discover that there are many different ways to run a household and really isn't one "Best Way".  In the end, the best way is the one that works best for you!

Comments

Tricia said…
I would love to know what type of eye cream you use if you don't mind sharing!
I don't have a specific brand that I'm loyal to actually. In the past I used Victoria Principal's stuff and I believe it was very effective because many people over the years have said I look younger than I am. But when it ran out, I went a more economical route and tried products off the shelf. I have used Kirkland Signature eye creams and they work nicely. Recently I was at Ross and browsed their facial product section and found some natural eye ointment with herbs and essential oil it. Just make sure you follow the directions. Some are not meant for putting on the eyelids and some are. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Modesty Doesn't Mean Frumpy

How to Get Rid of Anxiety

Purging and Surging