Homeschool Decisions and Directions

Yesterday was a nice day. I got my 30 minute walk on the treadmill and then we got together with our local homeschool group for our monthly Presentation Day.  This is a day where the kids have a chance to speak in front of a group of their peers and parents. They each get about 5 minutes to present a report, show a special item, give a speech, sing a song - whatever they'd like to do.

Of course we parents are always guiding their choices and there are monthly themes as well.  We usually like to stick with the themes, but have sometimes varied from them. Sometimes the little ones will just sing their abc's.  It's fun and a great way for the kids to learn public speaking.

Afterward we have lunch at a nearby park or fast food restaurant and the children play and the moms chat.  My boys are too old to play on the playground equipment anymore and there just aren't enough kids their ages for them to have any real fellowship with during that time so I am praying for direction. 

I don't want to join a co-op but I do want to find some avenue for them to flourish and grow and have some friendships with others.

On another note, I decided I'm going to add in unit studies to our homeschooling.  Since they've been doing more curriculum this past year, I just plain miss the interaction with my kids.  So we'll just pick a topic and do something with it for a half hour a day or so along side the other stuff.   It will be the highlight of our day, I'm sure.

I am also really struggling with the whole college prep thing.  We are not set up to finance college educations at this point and on top of that, neither of them have a burning desire for higher education.   One wants to be a mechanic and has since he was a preschooler, and the other wants to work in the field of art and has since he could pick up a crayon.

Last night, for the first time, I saw my youngest come in from the garage looking like a mechanic. His hands were black, he smelled of auto grease and his eyes were beaming. :)  He is taking a greater interest in the little engine we got him a year ago and decided to take it completely apart. He found out that he left some parts out so he said he'll have to go back and undo a little so he could put the missing parts in. I just stood amazed.  Here I was beholding my 13 yr. old - a man in the making, with a lump of motherly pride in my throat.  :)

My other son, 15, spends the majority of his free time writing novels (he's written almost a dozen now) practicing the piano (and composing movie soundtracks and delightful melodies) and drawing.  He dreams of being a graphic artist and possibly getting novels published on the side. His creations are beautiful and publishable. With a little polish and professional instruction, perhaps a vocational school, the sky is the limit to what he can accomplish.

We decided that if we should we seek higher education for them, we will use distance learning. The college environment, as with the public schools, is not conducive to learning and is a very ungodly mess of partying and atheism that we have chosen to avoid. 

So I have a lot to pray about. I know the Lord will give us direction in these matters as we seek him earnestly.  It is such a privilege to raise children but at the same time such a mind boggling responsibility. :) 

I praise God though, for he is guiding us every step of the way whether we know it or not.

The meek will he guide in judgment: and the meek will he teach his way. (Psalms 25:9)

I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye.(Psalms 32:8)
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Modesty Doesn't Mean Frumpy

How to Get Rid of Anxiety

Purging and Surging