My Daily Routine

The Lord calls us to be temperate. Many people think this must mean self-control, but it does not have much to do with self. The word "self" is not found in the Greek translation of the King James Bible.

From kjvtoday.com —
The word for "self" is not in Greek.  The Greek "εγκρατεια" is derived from the word "κρατος," which means "strength" (Vine's Complete Expository Dictionary).  εγ-κρατεια literally means "in-strength" or "strength within" (as opposed to outward physical strength).  "Self-control" gives the wrong impression because it is not the "self" that gives this control.  εγκρατεια is a fruit of the Spirit, which means the Spirit is the one who does the controlling.  Many Christians who struggle with temptations soon realize that the "self" cannot provide this control.  Thus a focus on "self-control" is futile.  What we need instead is "Spirit-control," which is the very point of the passage in Galatians 5.  A Spirit-given "self-control" is inherently contradictory.  Temperance is an accurate translation because the word does not focus on the self.

Isn't that interesting? The Lord himself gives us the Holy Spirit and it is in HIS strength that we are strong. Not our own. Our spirit is willing but our flesh is weak. So we musn't rely on our"selves" for the strength to do what must be done. We need to look to our Saviour for strength. Most of us can physically do what we need to do in a day. But we don't, not because it's physically impossible, but because our will is selfish and weak.

We need to turn to the Lord in faith and he gives us his faith, his will, his heart, his mind, his STRENGTH. Through Christ Jesus, we CAN.

I'm embarking on a journey toward better health, fitness and strength and making more room in my daily schedules and routines to do what is necessary in order to achieve my goals. I have done this in the past, but I think I did much of it in my own strength.

Is it possible to do what I need to do?  Can I rule my own spirit (cause it to come under subjection to the Lord's)? The Bible says I can.
Proverbs 25:28 - He that hath no rule over his own spirit is like a city that is broken down, and without walls. 
Is it possible to be moderate in exercise, food choices and finding time to spend with the Lord each day?
Philippians 4:5- Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.
What do I need in order to make this into a habit? Should I expect it to be instant or gradual?
I Peter 1:5,6 - And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; and to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness.  
Should I take my actions and choices seriously —  as though my life depended on it?
1 Peter 4:7 - But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer.
 Does temper (anger) have anything to do with temperance (restraint)?
Proverbs 16:32 - He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty; and he that ruleth his spirit than he that taketh a city.
There is a soft gospel being preached all over these days. A very hedonistic, self-indulgent doctrine that is leading many astray. It is contrary to the word of God, but many people don't know that because they are not in the word of God enough to be able to spot discrepancies when the hear them. The cure for this is to study and read the Bible daily. Every single day. It doesn't have to be a loooonnngg time. It can be a few verses that you read and then meditate on throughout the day.

But in addition to this, we must be moderate, patient and temperate and lean on the strength of the Lord. This means that all I do and say must travel through a filter. Because I am not my own; I was bought at the highest price imaginable.

Should we as Christians check with the Lord about every aspect of our lives?
Proverbs 3:5,6 - Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy path. 
I want to acknowledge the Lord in all my ways more and I've written out a schedule for myself that seems like it will incorporate the areas I seek to strengthen - on paper anyway. :)  But with the Lord, all things are possible. When we trust in the Lord with ALL our hearts and acknowledge him, he'll direct, lead and guide.

So the schedule I've written out below is a run down of an average day at my house and the various tasks that could come up any day of the week.  But the main thing is that I have inserted the things that were lacking - time for prayer, reading, shopping for healthy food and exercise. The part that I need the Lord's strength and help on is that the only time they fit into my day is early!

In Proverbs 31, these are all areas of a virtuous woman, which I didn't consider or think about until after I made my list! ha.

Early Rising:
5. She riseth also while it is yet night
Exercise:
7. She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms.
Shop:
14. She is like the merchants 'ships; she bringeth her food from afar.
Okay so here's my schedule that I pray the Lord will strengthen me to perform.

Basic Daily Routine

      Morning
6am Coffee, wake up, Bible reading, prayer
Grocery Shop (quick trip to Sprouts 2 mi. down the street)
Workout, lift weights, stretch, invert
Shower, dress
Breakfast, vitamins, herbs, fiber, lecithin, plexus
Make bed, start laundry, tidy kitchen
Homeschool/projects
     Afternoon
Lunch, 2nd dose herbs & vitamins
Homeschool/housework/Co-op/P.E./Debate/field trip
      Evening
Make/eat dinner, clean kitchen
Prep coffee and lunches for next morning 
Family time
Take a Bath or enjoy some tea and read/sew/draw/watch tv
Kids Bedtime
Time with my husband
10pm Lights out

I'm excited to lean on the Lord for strength to accomplish all that he would have me to do. I know he's plenty strong enough and will show himself mighty in this area of my life. Praise his name!

Comments

Tricia said…
Wow, that is pretty much my ideal schedule--on paper! I've never approached my schedule Biblically, and I should have all along! Just curious, why go to the grocery store every day? May I print this post for my personal home management binder?
Thanks Tricia! Feel free to print and use. :)
To answer your question about the grocery store, I made this schedule to incorporate several things that happen from Monday through Friday. So the trip to the store will happen on Weds (when weekly specials overlap) not every day. And the kids activities are all on different days as well. I just put everything that could possibly be during a certain time of the day into that slot so I'd only have ONE schedule to look at and not one for each day. Does that make sense?
The nice thing is that if I did need to to run to the store if I forgot something or wanted something extra, it's there on the schedule already. The days I don't go, I have some extra morning time. :)
Tricia said…
I see! I should have read more carefully, as I see you wrote exactly that in your post! Thank you!

Popular posts from this blog

Modesty Doesn't Mean Frumpy

How to Get Rid of Anxiety

Purging and Surging