What I'm Meditating on Today ... The Work of God

There are a lot of ideas on what doing "the work of God" is.

What is yours?

There are some Christians who think it is serving their family. And that's certainly noble and needful and right. But is it, biblically speaking, "the work of God"?

There are some Christians who consider serving the community, the church, the local shelters, political campaigns, kids programs to be the work of God.  Volunteering our time and care to others is certainly loving others as we love ourselves. But are these things the work of God? Not according to scripture. So what is the work of God? Simpler than we think.
Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God? Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent. John 6:28-29
Why do people want to complicate things so much when God has made it so simple. The work of God, according to Jesus Christ himself, who IS God, is to believe on him. Believe. How do you believe?  The same way you're believing on countless things every single day. We believe the chair we're sitting in will hold us up, otherwise we wouldn't sit in it.

If I saw a crickety old chair in someone's house and maybe wiggled it a bit with my hand and saw some loose joints, I would not trust it to hold me up. I wouldn't sit in it. I wouldn't "believe on" it.

Jesus Christ came, fulfilled hundreds of messianic prophecies and appeared to thousands after his resurrection. The miracles he performed after his resurrection were so many, that his disciple John said the world couldn't hold the volumes of books it would take to write them down. That's mind boggling. Books of miracles, not just an article or a write up, but books! 
This is the disciple which testifieth of these things, and wrote these things:and we know that his testimony is true. And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen. John 21:24-25
Why did the Lord Jesus do so many untold miracles after he rose from the dead and before returning to heaven?  For those who would believe on him. Those people who saw with their own eyes the glory and power of the Son of God became zealous. They were willing to be martyred. They fervently shared their faith with one another so that the church would be strongly established, rooted in faith and grounded in love. The New Testament was written by eye witnesses. They believed and saw.

So doing the work of God is believing on him whom he has sent — Christ Jesus.  Believing on him is not something that comes and goes.
But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord. A double minded man is unstable in all his ways. James 1:4
Believing on the Lord Jesus Christ is constant, like breathing.

Believing on him means doubt is nonexistent.

Believing on him means fear has no place.

Believing on him means I am single minded, walking in the light and abiding in him. 

Believing on him means that through the power of his resurrection, I have power over sin, freedom from death and authority to do what he has asked me to do. It's the very least that I can do for all He's done for me.

Believing on him means my spirit is at rest.

Believing on him means I don't try to earn a thing.

Believing on him means, while I don't intentionally sin, I don't try to be "good enough". My own righteousness is as filthy rags.

I don't try to "prove" my faith by my works. My works are a result of my faith.

The work of God is to believe on him whom God has sent.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow, that is so pwerful. Thank you for writing the truth in such a beautiful way.

Popular posts from this blog

Modesty Doesn't Mean Frumpy

How to Get Rid of Anxiety

Purging and Surging