Mirror, Mirror

That's what our children are: a mirror of us, the environment we provide, the patience we give, the love we share, the attitudes we carry.

My kids are getting older so when one of them (both mid to late teens) has an attitude problem, I first look at my own attitude. If my own attitude checks out OK, I then consider what the cause might be and pray for them. 

Teens have a lot hormones to deal with and need a measure of grace and patience. My boys are usually very gracious, obedient and loving.  But as a mother, my goal is to have their hearts. I want to demonstrate that their hearts are safe with me.

It's a process of continually building a loving relationship that starts when they are born. Love is not a sugar mama. Love is not trying to make them like you by giving them what they want. 

Love is seeking their good will even if it crosses their desires. When you come across a broken fence, seek to mend it quickly.  It begins with repentance on our part as parents. If our attitude is impatient, rude, or the least bit unloving, kids have amazing radar that picks up the slightest unjustness and they will mirror you.

I've made my share of mistakes and I've had bad days. And my life has been a process of learning to seek wisdom, understanding and knowledge. But praise God when we call out to him with soft hearts — repentant hearts— he is quick to forgive and faithful to mold us into the likeness of Christ.

If a believer is not bubbling with joy on any given day, something is wrong. A Christian's life is marked by joy. When your life is hid with Christ in God, and you have the hope of eternal life in the Kingdom of God, your joy is indomitable. The knowledge that he paid it all is the reason I am joyful. 

Wife and mother - do you have joy?  Are you excited about what God is doing in your life?  If not, start praying and ask God to help you get your priorities straightened out.  Reading Titus 2 and Micah 6:8 are good places to start. 

A frog who lives his whole life trying to fly will always be disappointed. Get an understanding of the role that God designed you to fulfill and you will soar to new heights of joy and fulfillment in your life and your family will flourish under your care. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Modesty Doesn't Mean Frumpy

How to Get Rid of Anxiety

Purging and Surging