Big Manly Lunches

I am married to a wonderful man who loves home cooking. He has graciously and enthusiastically eaten every creation I have ever come up with from the beginning of our marriage 18 years ago.  

In fact, if it hadn't been for his encouragement and enthusiasm, I don't know if I would've had the courage to keep up with my culinary pursuits. But I did and I've improved a lot since our early years. Ah, the love of a good man!! 

Subsequently, I've made my husband 99% of the lunches he's taken to work from then, too. But it is always challenging to think up something different and new. In other words, not boring! :)

More often than not, it's been the typical american lunch: sandwich, veggie, fruit, chips, cookies. Sometimes I make him different kinds of wraps. Every so often I would fill a hot thermos with stew or soup. But not as often as I'd have wished.

A few months ago my husband did a big hotel remodel and in the first couple of months, he commuted an 70 minutes each way. 
So he had to rise at 4:30am and leave at 5:30am and I made his lunches the night before so they would be ready and waiting for him in the fridge for breakfast. 

His first day, I made my famous Berry Cream muffins and a ham and cheese quiche for breakfast.

For his lunch, I made him Waldorf chicken salad on a bun, with a dill pickle along side and some chocolate chip cookies for dessert. He works very, very hard and I want his lunch time to be a bright spot in the day. And to remind him that he is cared for and very, very loved. 

The commute started to wear him down to much that he started coming down with colds more easily and his work was suffering. So for the last month or so he stayed in a hotel so he could work faster and get more rest in between. Commuting is a bear! 

Of course we missed him so much. But we know the drill since his work has taken him out of town a few times before. I always try to think about the positives to his times away. I take more bubble baths, have total control over the tv remote! I also have more time to read at night or catch up on projects. So it's all good and there's a plus to everything if you look for it. Ruth Bell Graham had some lovely things to say in her book, It's My Turn. One of the things that stuck with me was this quote. I find it to be true!


Let there be spaces in your togetherness. ~ Kahlil Gibran




So how about you? Do you send your husband off to work with homemade food and if so, what are your favorite ideas? I want to add some hearty lunches to my list and I'm looking for fresh ideas if anyone would care to share! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Modesty Doesn't Mean Frumpy

How to Get Rid of Anxiety

Purging and Surging