Menu for the Week

Here is my menu for next week.  It's a mix between frugal and regular.  I enjoy cooking my family ethnic foods mainly because they are so good!  And many of them are so simple, really.  I stay away from "boxed" mixes as much as possible. Planning ahead a bit helps a lot so at the bottom of the menu is a list of extra preparations that need to be done and when to do them so I don't forget.  I try to do my kitchen work in the mornings and plan out what I'll need for that day's or the next day's meals. 
I make a few things from scratch and it is a little extra work, but it's so much less expensive than store bought.  Plus I love that I control the ingredients.  Preparing healthy food is vital to our family's health, and helps me be a good steward of the money that my husband works so hard to earn for our family. Some things I buy "premade" are natural applesauce, 100% orange juice, natural peanut butter, Breyers ice cream, real cheeses (not the processed stuff)...food that doesn't have strange ingredients and is as close to natural or homemade as I can get. I try to make my own muffins and bread (except during summer) cakes, soups, salads and sauces.


It doesn't take much time in the mornings to coordinate the baking, soaking, thawing, etc that needs to be done for the next days' (or that night's) meals.  That's what makes planning meals so important.  I can't say I've "arrived" when it comes to meal planning, but I'm improving.  And if for some reason I can't keep up with my plan on a given day, I try to have substitute meal ideas on the ready.  Sometimes I'll just whip up some pancakes or quesadillas for dinner in those cases because I usually have the ingredients for these handy and they are quick to prepare.  What is your menu for next week? 
       
                    Menu for the Week

7am
Breakfast
12pm
Lunch
3pm
Snack
6pm
Dinner

Dessert
Monday
Cream of Wheat, banana, orange juice
Pea Soup
cornbread
Applesauce
milk
Blueberry Muffin  
Milk
American
Green Salad
Fish, Oven Fries
Iced Tea

Chocolate
cake
Tuesday
Scramble Eggs, muffins,
Orange juice
Egg salad Sandwiches
Cucumber slices
Graham Cracker
milk
Mexican
Enchiladas, refried beans and spanish rice

Fresh
Fruit
Weds
Blueberry Oatmeal
Orange Juice

Tuna fish Sandwiches
Celery Sticks &
fruit

Whole Milk
Yogurt w/ granola
German Chicken schnitzel, Rot Kraut, mashed potatoes, lemon caper sauce

Homemade Raspberry
Jello
Thursday
Toast with jam
milk
Sliced Turkey Sandwiches with lettuce and tomato

Apple Slices with peanut butter
Mexican
Tortilla Soup, salsa, sour cream, corn muffins
Scoop of
Breyer’s
 Vanilla Bean
Ice Cream
Friday
Sweet boiled rice w/ milk, cinnamon & raisins
Burritos
Beans, rice lettuce, tomato, sour cream

Cut veggies
& Hummus
Italian
Homemade Pizzas
Milk

Mandarin
orange
Saturday

Pancakes, eggs, milk, orange juice
Avocado, swiss and turkey sandwiches
Celery sticks

Apple Slices with Peanut Butter
Asian
Honey Sesame Chicken w/ 
zucchini
Hot Rice

Lemon
Cookies &
Milk
Sunday
Dutch Waffles
Bacon
Orange Juice
Cheese, Peppers & Onion Quesadillas

Cut veggies & Hummus
Italian
Spaghetti & Meatballs, Garlic Bread

Coffee
Cake


Daily Preparations:

Sunday: Thaw fish for tomorrow night
Monday: Bake chocolate cake for next day's desset
Bake blueberry muffins for next morning’s breakfast;
 make pitcher of iced tea; soak pinto beans overnight; put frozen chicken breasts in fridge to thaw for Wednesday's dinner
Tuesday: make granola for next day's snack


Wednesday: Bake bread; prepare and chill jello for next day's dessert
Thursday: Make hummus and pizza dough; chill for next day
Friday: make ahead for tonight: poolish for pizza dough; homemade sauces for pizza


Saturday morning: bake lemon cookies and coffee cake for weekend desserts

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Modesty Doesn't Mean Frumpy

How to Get Rid of Anxiety

Purging and Surging